Preparing Your Garden For Selling
Given the potential impact a garden has on the saleability of a property, we believe that a bit of work on the garden will enhance the appeal of your property. An untidy, unloved looking garden often sets the wrong first impression in buyers’ minds. A bit of work may not instantly improve the value, (although it might) but it could lead to a quicker sale. Some forward thinking is worth while. For example, something as simple as planting bulbs that flower in succession will provide colour for the spring; bedding plants, meanwhile will work for summer and pansies will add some colour for the Autumn.
Here are a few ideas to consider that will make your garden work a little harder in helping you sell your property:
- Tidy up generally, de-clutter if necessary.
- If you have children keep their garden toys in order-not necessarily invisible.
- Trim back foliage hanging over windows and doors.
- Mow the lawn.
- Edge the borders.
- Sweep up leaves (a never ending job in the autumn but worth it).
- Do the weeding.
- Pressure wash decking and patio.
- Trim the hedges.
- Clear up after pets.
- Repair worn out areas of lawn.
- Repair broken fences (sometimes even if you don’t own them).
- If you have a swimming pool or garden pond make sure they are clean and fresh.
No Time? No Problem!
If you are struggling with a large, high maintenance garden, hiring a gardener for a few hours will be money well spent. Often, once the initial work has been done it is easier to keep on top of things until you sell.
These are a few ideas not an exhaustive list. If you need a gardener we may well be able to help. For more tips and adivce on preparing your garden for selling, contact your local Burns & Webber office.
Request a FREE valuation of your property
Our service starts with a free consultation, during which we will listen carefully to your needs, advise you of the value of your property, and outline how we will sell it for the best possible price.
Find Local Branch
Burns & Webber estate agents specialise in properties for sale in Surrey.